You have made the excellent decision to take your next holiday in amazing Thailand on the sun-kissed island of Koh Samui; it is a great choice as the island features some of the country’s best beaches, a laidback lifestyle and a superb array of resort hotels and beachside villas. You are also a bit of a food connoisseur and looking forward to experiencing Thailand’s famous and varied cuisine; we will look at some of the places to eat on the island, whether it’s the five-star eateries, the less formal local restaurants or the best beach bars in Koh Samui where you can get a great dining experience.
Thailand’s Food Fusion
The country’s food is heavily influenced by people who emigrated from Southern China over fourteen hundred years ago; since then, it has fused with other tastes from as far away as Europe and Japan to create one of the world’s most popular food types. Today it is its own blend of sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and spicy with specific regional differences in the four corners of the country.
Koh Samui Best Eateries
There is a huge variety of choices on Koh Samui, so let’s break it down into the different mealtimes firstly with a couple of great options for an awesome lunch –
- Had Bang Po Seafood Beachside Restaurant just outside Maenam.
- The Jungle Club overlooks Chaweng Beach and has superb views.
- Baitong Restaurant is part of the Banana Fan Sea Resort.
As Koh Samui is Thailand’s second largest island, it is no surprise that the Seafood is excellent; some of the best places to experience this are –
- Samui Seafood Grill & Restaurant is affordable in a prime location on Chaweng Beach.
- Suppattra Thai Dining offers super fresh fish in Asian fusion dishes.
- Two Fishes Samui is located in Fisherman’s village of Bophut.
If you would like a special experience and do not mind paying a little bit extra, then these great restaurants should be on your radar –
- Six Senses Samui is a unique dining experience with fantastic views.
- Kawin’s Kitchen is terrific and well-rated by all.
- The Boudoir offers European cuisine in surroundings fit for a king.
- Tree Tops restaurant in Surat Thani is one of the island’s best.
With these more formal options, booking a table in advance is always best, as they are very popular, especially in the high season.
This article is far too short to showcase all the best eateries on Koh Samui; ask around when you get there, and I am sure you will get some great recommendations to make your holiday one to remember.